Sauteed Collard Greens
Many people, especially Southerners, usher in the new year by cooking collard greens. The cooking of greens represents blessings for a prosperous new year, not just financially but with health, business, family and whatever else your heart desired. These collards are a little garlicky, a little lemony, and seriously irresistible. They’re the perfect quick and healthy side dish, and they’re exactly what you need to start off the New Year.
Prep Time: 10
Cook Time: 20
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 strips thick smoked bacon, cut into 1/2″ pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 large bunch collard greens, about 10 cups sliced
- 1 tsp. white vinegar
- 1 squeeze fresh lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium-low heat. While oil is heating, cut bacon.
- Cook bacon in pot, slowly, until bacon is golden brown before adding garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook until fragrant.
- Add collard greens.
- Pour in vinegar and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper.
- Saute collard greens until tender but still bright green. Do not overcook.
- Remove from heat and serve hot.