Jack-O-Lantern Stuffed Peppers Recipe
Stuffed peppers are the perfect fall go-to meal and there’s no better time than Halloween to make them! They are healthy and festive. Plus, you can never go grown with the flavors of stuffed peppers. Simple and delicious.
Prep Time: 20
Cook Time: 24
- 4 large orange or red bell peppers
- 1 cup cooked rice (white or brown)
- 1 Tablespoon avocado oil or other healthy cooking oil, plus additional for coating sheet pan
- 1 pound lean ground beef, turkey, or chicken
- Optional: 8 ounces mushrooms chopped
- 2 cups roasted red pepper sauce homemade or store-bought
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F
- Use a sharp knife to slice the top off each bell pepper horizontally. Set tops aside. Remove all seeds and membranes. Rinse and pat the peppers dry. Use a small paring knife to cut holes into the exterior of the peppers to make jack-o-lantern faces.
- TIP: If peppers don’t stand upright, use the knife to slice a small amount from the bottom to flatten the surface.
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- As rice cooks, use olive oil or non-stick spray to lightly grease a small sheet pan. Arrange peppers and tops of peppers on pan and cook in oven for 20-25 minutes, or until peppers are cooked, but are still firm (al dente). Remove peppers from oven and allow to cool while you make the filling.
Directions for the Filling
- Heat 1 Tablespoon olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and (optional) mushrooms and saute for 3-4 minutes, or until mushrooms have softened and reduced in size. Increase heat to medium high. Add ground meat and spices to pan and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until no pink remains.
- Drain excess grease from pan, reduce heat to medium low, then add red pepper pasta sauce and cooked rice. Stir to combine and cook for 2-3 more minutes, or until mixture is heated through.
- Prior to serving, fill each pepper with approximately 1 cup of mixture, over filling each pepper slightly. Place a top onto each stuffed pepper and serve!