Sign up for our newsletter
How to Prepare Your Home for the Winter Season
During the winter season, you are always going want to keep your family safe and your house warm. Propane systems are a safe, effective way to ensure those things happen all winter long, but preparations must be made in order to guarantee the season passes without a hitch. The following tips will help you make sure that your heating systems work reliably throughout the winter.
- Have your propane tank filled before the cold weather arrives.
- Make sure you have enough propane. Talk to your propane provider about keep-full plans. If you’re responsible for monitoring your propane supply, check the gauge on the tank regularly (watch a video about it here), and call your provider before the propane level gets too low.
- If you run out of propane, call your propane provider immediately. Your propane provider or qualified service technician will need to inspect your system for leaks before turning the gas back on.
- Maintain a clear path to your propane tank. Clear enough space in your driveway for a delivery truck, and shovel a path to the tank through snow and ice.
- Keep outdoor vents, chimneys, and flues clear of snow, ice and debris.
- Never use outdoor appliances indoors. Keep grills, generators, and patio heaters outdoors.