It doesn’t quite feel like holidays until we are in front of the fireplace with Christmas music on and a cozy mug of Hot Buttered Rum in our hand. Hot Buttered Rum dates back to the colonial days in the United States, but warming beverages, in general, have a longer and broader history. Although the recipe has not changed much, the flavor speaks for itself. Hot buttered rum is sweetly spiced, and full of Christmas joy. Let us show you how to make this delicious Christmas cocktail!
Added bonus: you can freeze the batter for this recipe up to 3 months!
Prep Time: 10
Cook Time: 10
- 1 pound butter
- 1 pound brown sugar
- 1 pound confectioners’ sugar
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Your favorite rum
- Boiling water
- Batter: Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Blend in brown sugar and confectioners’ sugar.
- Remove from heat, and whisk in the ice cream, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Pour mixture into a plastic container, seal, and freeze.
- Drink: In a coffee mug, measure 1 tablespoon Hot Buttered Rum Batter and 1 fluid ounce of rum, then fill cup with boiling water.
- Stir, and sprinkle top of drink with nutmeg.