Between more room in your kitchen for other things and less mess, grilling out always is a win-win in our homes – especially around the holiday’s. Plus, there’s something even more delicious about grilling side dishes. The smoky flavor, browned coloring, and grilled texture add new twists to old staples like this Grilled Sweet Potatoes recipe.
Prep Time: 60
Cook Time: 25
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- Kosher salt
- 16 large marshmallows
- Heat grill to medium-high, indirect heat. For grills with 3 or more burners, turn all the burners to medium-high heat; after about 15 minutes, turn off one of the middle burners and leave the remaining burners at medium high.
- Grill the sweet potatoes until cooked through but still holding their shape, about 50 minutes. Let cool until they can be handled, about 15 minutes.
- Put the butter in a small skillet over medium-high heat and cook, swirling often, until it melts and turns golden brown, about 4 minutes.
- Cut the potatoes in half and scoop the flesh into a large bowl; keep the skins intact. Add the brown butter, cream, sugar, vanilla and 1/2 teaspoon salt to the flesh and mash with a potato masher until smooth.
- Spoon the filling back into the skins and top each with 2 marshmallows. Place back on grill with lid down and cook until the filling is hot and bubbling around the edges and the marshmallows are golden, about 10 minutes.