Sign up for our newsletter
Tornado Information for Propane Users
Blossman Gas has several important safety notifications for those who were in the path of recent tornados.
After a tornado, use extreme caution and take the time to carefully evaluate the condition of all the structures on your property. If you have any doubts about your safety, leave the area immediately and have your property inspected by a qualified building inspector or structural engineer before re-entering.
Follow these general safety rules:
- Never store propane tanks indoors. This also applies to propane equipment not certified for indoor use such as generators, grills, cookers and fryers among others.
- Never use outdoor propane appliances indoors or in enclosed areas. In addition, never use a gas oven or range-top burners to provide space heating.
- Do not under any circumstances try to modify or repair valves, regulators, or other appliance parts.
- Inspect chimneys, flue pipes, and vent connectors for damage, blockage, or debris.
- Inspect your propane appliances for water or other damage, if it is safe to do so.
- Maintain an adequate supply of propane in your tank. During and after a storm, propane and other types of fuel may not be readily available and roads leading to your home might not be accessible for delivery.
For further information on propane safety and tornadoes, please click HERE.
If you smell gas inside or outside of your home:
- Immediately put out all smoking materials or other open flames. Do not operate lights, appliances, telephones or cell phones.
- Leave the area immediately.
- Shut off the gas, if it is safe to do so. To close the valve, turn it to the right (clockwise).
- Report the leak. From a neighbor’s home or other building away from the potential leak, call your propane supplier right away. If you can not reach your propane supplier, call 911 or your local fire department.
- Do not return to the building or area.
- Get your system checked by a professional before you attempt to use any of your propane appliances.
Remember, Blossman Gas employees have expert training. If you need assistance at any time during this period, please call your local store or the Call Center at 1-888-256-7762.