Every day is a good day to tell your family you love them, and a heart-shaped pizza is the most delicious way to do it. Making heart pizza is pretty easy, you get to use your grill! This recipe will help you create a homemade heart pizza so you can say “I love you,” with every bite.
- Prepared pizza dough (store bought or homemade)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil, for brushing dough
- 1 jar tomato or pizza sauce
- Your favorite fixings! (Ours include dried basil and oregano, mozzarella cheese, green peppers, onions, and pepperoni!)
- A little flour to dust the cookie sheet or pizza peel
- Prepare all toppings to the desired size for your pizza. Be sure to have your pizza sauce and another small bowl with olive oil for greasing the grill grates and brushing the pizza.
- Start the gas grill on high heat.
- Stretch pizza dough. It’s best to use your hands to stretch the dough while working the edges.
- Shape dough into heart. Let sit for 5 minutes and then push out the edges again with your fingers, until the shape is just right. Take a bit of flour and place the dough on rimless cookie sheet or pizza peel.
- Once the grill is ready, brush the grates with a light coating of olive oil. Slide the dough off the cookie sheet directly onto the grill to cook one side of the dough before adding the toppings. Close the lid and cook for 2 minutes.
- After 2 minutes, check the grill to see if the dough is browning. If it is on one half, but not the other, use a spatula to rotate the dough. Cook for another minute or so – until the dough is browned slightly and starts bubbling up with air pockets. Using the spatula, remove the dough from the heat, placing back on cookie sheet. Flip the dough so that the grilled side is now up.
- Reduce the heat on your gas grill. Lightly brush the browned side of the dough with olive oil. Cover with 1 ladle of sauce and no more, or else you’ll end up with a soggy pizza. Sprinkle on your cheese and layer with your other toppings.
- Slide the pizza back on the grill. Close the lid and cook for another 2-3 minutes or until the bottom begins to char and the cheese is bubbly. Remove from heat and rest for a few minutes, then cut and serve!