This loaded, cheesy potato casserole is a potluck staple. And don’t count on having leftovers because no one will say no to this extra savory recipe! The best part about this dish is that you can serve it for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Enjoy!
- 5 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut 1” pieces
- 2 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- 2 sticks butter, cubed
- 2 cans cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 bag real bacon bits (4 oz or more)
- 8-12 green onions, minced (white & green part)
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water (salt water as normal). Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain well. Potatoes can be left cubed, mashed, or slightly rough (broken up-between cubed and mashed).
- In a separate large saucepan, combine cream cheese and butter until melted. Add soup, milk, sour cream, salt and pepper, blend until smooth. (You can also add some of the bacon bits to the sauce.) Combine potatoes and mix in a large bowl. Transfer to a greased 4-qt. baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15 minutes until hot and bubbly. Sprinkle with the cheddar cheese, bacon and green onions. Bake 5 minutes longer or until heated through and cheese is melted.