Blossman families are known to grill out often and share their favorite recipes. This is one such recipe that has been passed around throughout the decades from family to family. The sauce and crispy onions make it taste like it came from your favorite restaurant. It’s packed with flavor and will quickly become your go-to burger recipe.
Needing to upgrade your grill? View our selection of highly rated, affordable grills.
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 2 tablespoons cream-style horseradish sauce
- 1/3 teaspoon paprika
- 1/3 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Dash of ground black pepper
- 1 large sweet onion (Vidalia)
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/3 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil or cooking spray
- 2lbs ground beef
- American cheese slices
- Sesame seed hamburger buns
- Prep the sauce: In a medium bowl, combine mayonnaise, ketchup, horseradish, paprika, cayenne pepper, dried oregano, salt, and ground black pepper. Mix well. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
- Fried onions: Slice the onion into strips. In a medium bowl beat the egg and milk together. In a separate bowl combine flour, salt, cayenne pepper, paprika, ground black pepper, oregano, thyme and cumin. Mix well.
- Fried onions continued: Coat the onion strips in the milk mixture and then dredge with the flour mixture. Repeat once more.
- Fried onions continued: Heat oil in a deep-fryer or large pot to 350 degrees F. Fry the onion strips in batches until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Burger: Turn the grill on to medium-high. Form the ground beef into 4-6 patties. Season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Burger continued: Add the hamburger patties to the grill and cook, turning as needed until the internal temperature has reached 160 degrees F. During the last few minutes brush the buns with vegetable oil and place on grill, cut side down, until they are golden brown. Top each burger with a slice of American cheese and cook until the cheese has until melted.
- Assemble the burgers with lettuce, tomato, burger, and fried onion. Spread a layer of the sauce on the bun and enjoy!