The best part about this BBQ Chicken recipe – it’s hard to mess up! You can choose to use more or less of any ingredient depending on your specific taste preferences. Have fun by adding your own twist!
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp. yellow mustard
- 2 tbsp. Heinz 57
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. Old Bay seasoning
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tbsp. molasses
- 4 tbsp. apple butter
- 2 tsp. apple juice per chicken leg
- Hot sauce – to taste
- 12 chicken legs
- In a mixing bowl, slowly add brown sugar with Worcestershire sauce. Stir until sugar fully dissolves.
- Stir in yellow mustard and Heinz 57 to taste.
- Add some molasses to thicken up the sauce.
- If so desired, add apple butter to remove some of the tartness.
- Add hot sauce in mixture to taste.
- Rub chicken legs with kosher salt (it sticks to meat better), black pepper, Old Bay seasoning, and paprika (for color and crispy skin)
- Using a marinade injector, inject apple juice into chicken legs before grilling.
- Heat grill to about 250 degrees, and place chicken legs on grill. Continue cooking the chicken, about 10-15 minutes, turning frequently. Before they are done, inject apple juice again.
- Brush sauce on chicken legs to cover them, or dip them into sauce, completely covering them.
- Finish cooking on grill to heat sauce. Internal temperature of chicken should be 165 degrees. Then remove from grill.
- Let chicken legs rest 10-15 minutes for best taste.